I'm Finally Back!!! Well...almost.

Oh my goodness!!!! It is SO good to be 'back'! The past 6 weeks have been Hell!!! Ironically, the day of my last post, I got a prescription for an antibiotic to cure an infection I had in my right pointer finger. I have eczema and it is very sensitive to weather. During our hottest and driest week, my eczema became painfully dry and cracked which let in normal bacteria that is found on our hands. Unfortunately, I also have asthma and severe seasonal allergies. (Seasonal allergies were the worst this summer too!) So on top of all the 'fighting' my poor body was doing, the infection was too much and it overran my system. To make a long, and extremely painful, story short the infection overtook both my hands rendering them useless for the past 6 weeks. I am on my 6th or 7th course of antibiotics. After being in and out of the ER on IV antibiotics for a week and a half, and the infection only getting worse, the doctor finally admitted me to the hospital for 4 days last week. I had nightmares of having my hands amputated to stop the spread of the infection! It was horrifying!!!After talking to a dermatologist and using big words that I could not possibly understand or pronounce, let alone remember, the doctor said I was to be given an IV with antibiotics every 8 hours, plus an oral steroid pill, plus an allergy medication via my IV, all the while slathering my hands in a steroid cream and having their wraps changed twice a day. I am still on the oral antibiotic and steroid pill on top of my regular medication. Needless to say my body is on medication overload and I can't stop the shakes which is driving me nutz! BUT! I can use my hands!! Come to find out, the steroid was the key and my infection was gone within a few days.

I have never gone through anything like that before in my life. It was so bad that my husband had to dress me, feed me, EVERYTHING! I couldn't write, use the computer, hold my phone, NOTHING! I couldn't feed my kids, clothe them, comfort them, play with them--my poor 1 year old was starting to think I didn't love him anymore because I couldn't touch him. It broke my heart and made me cry more than once! And worst of all-I couldn't craft!!!! UGH!!!! Literally, all I did for 6 weeks was sit with my hands elevated. That's it. Can you say B-O-R-E-D!?! Anyway, the doctor let me come home Friday morning, with strict instructions on what NOT to do, (which is pretty much everything), while my hands heal. I surprised my kids and hubby by coming home 3 days early and first thing in the morning--and it was the best reunion EVER! I think my neighbors down the street heard my kids' squeals! Oh how good it felt to pick up my babies and hold them and hug them and kiss them!!! Of course, my 1 year old has not stopped needing my attention since I got back but it is worth every slobbery kiss!!! I am the most loved mommy IN THE WORLD!!! My poor hubby is finally relieved of his 'single parent' duties to some degree as I am now able to help around the house more every day. Tonight I was even able to cook supper!! (Yummy post to follow.) My husband is an AMAZING man with AMAZING strength and patience. The poor guy deserves a holiday! As for my hands, they are definitely raw as I lost most of the top several layers of skin on both hands, and I certainly ain't at 100% yet. But time will callus them and I will be back to normal in no time...and begging for a break no doubt. LoL Now, time to get back to life and see my oldest baby off to his first day of Kindergarten in a week! *sniffle* Somebody wish me luck-I'm gonna need it! Take care!

Here's a peek at my infection. There is a gap, however, from the time I was in the hospital as I was without my camera. But those pictures would be too horrific to show on here. (No word of a lie!)

How it all started.

The infection after I finished my 1st
course of antibiotics.

Halfway through my 3rd course.
By the time I was in the hospital,
my entire right hand and 3/4
of my left were entirely covered
by the infection seen here.
Then my skin started to die and
come off leaving deep raw areas
all over my hands and fingers.

3 days after I got home from the hospital.
Infection is gone but the damage remains
to be seen. My hands are hypersensitive
right now and so I have to be careful.

The new skin is extremely thin and will take months to
callus and be at 100%.


  1. OMG Lisa!! That is so intense! I'm so sorry you are going thru all this. And I agree with you about the worst part - not being able to craft! lol. But I'm so glad you're on the mend & back with your family, after such a horrific ordeal. It's great to have you back! {{{Big hugs}}}

    Diana :)
    Leelee Card Designs

  2. Thank you, Diana! It has been a ride for sure but has made me so grateful for so many things. Your comment made my day and your hug made my week. :) It's good to be back! :P

  3. OH MY GOODNESS! That sounded and looked terrible and I feel soo bad for you. I truly did miss you and check up on your blog a few times to see if I was missing your posts. Now I can see the drama that led to no posting. How tough that must have been with the kiddos and do you have help? Hugs and soo glad you are on the mend!

  4. Thank you, Arin. Yes, it was the roughest part of my life! I could not even hold my babies and it nearly killed me! I am very lucky to have my hubby home everyday, though, as he is unable to work outside of our home. So he did everything! That man deserves a badge! Daddy/Hubby of the Century! Things are practically back to normal now. My hands are healing so much faster than expected which is awesome. Thank you for your kind thoughts. :) It feels good to be missed. Next challenge-sending my oldest to Kindergarten in 3 days! *sniffle* I'm gonna die. LoL


Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some encouragement! I appreciate each and every one of your comments. You make me smile!

Popular posts from this blog

Create Kindness Kit

It's Here!!!